It appears various commitments will prevent me from getting away for a long-ish motorcycle tour this year, so I'm looking for closer-to-home excuses to pack on some miles. As riding to new places and greasy diner breakfasts are a few of my favorite things (cue Rogers and Hammerstein), I've registered for the Waffle House Grand Tour, which helps support Hoagy's Heroes Long Distance Charity Riders. The premise for this event is simple: ride to Waffle House locations between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012, and shoot a verification photo at each location showing the rider's motorcycle, the rider's supplied rally flag, and the signature Waffle house sign/logo.
Contests within the tour include:
- Most Waffle Houses visited
- Most states visited
- Farthest distance from the rider's home to a Waffle House
- First rider to visit the original Waffle House in GA (already claimed by a rider on Jan. 1st @ 0022 EST!)
- Most waffle houses ridden to as an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 ride
- Riding to at least one Waffle House every month of 2012
Lacking the free time to compete with the serious LD crowd, and living in an area with comparatively few Waffle Houses, my best chance is the "Waffle House a month" contest. I plan to hit the closest locations during the winter and save to further locations for nicer weather. My WH poison of choice being the Texas CheeseSteak, I'd better plan on ramping up (if one can ramp up from nothing) my exercise regimen in 2012.
Labels: Charity, Ironbutt/LD, Rallying